Total Page Views

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

In the Beginning...

It's 4ish in the morning, and I just finished reading Education Rethink's Blog, Advice for New Bloggers. I keep running into articles about Blogging as an Educational Leader, and until now I have been hesitant to do so. You see, up until early this winter, I have been an assistant principal. I was comfortable following my principal, as she led us down the halls of our school. I was just following along as one of the members of the line. But, thanks to the encouragement of a close and very wise friend, I anxiously decided to MOVE TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE.



I am the new principal of a small elementary school in our city. With this new role, my struggle is probably very minor to some; however, I am struggling with being the one everyone is watching. When I was following my principal, I could often move up to second place in the line. I could even back off (rarely) and move to the end of the line. But now, when I would like to move back into the almost anonymity of the line, I turn to see everyone following me. Everyone's eyes are watching me for guidance, for vision, for support, and for direction. 

I need to get comfortable in this new skin, and I believe that one of the ways to do so is to embrace this place I now occupy. I have read article after article about how leaders should Blog, and I am giving it a try.

I have learned as I begin to transition into this position, that in elementary school, being the Line Leader is a pretty cool thing. I am learning to appreciate its coolness. Before I was always the one working in the background like good software. I was the one who made my boss look amazing. I don't necessarily want to look amazing, but I sincerely want to do a great job for the students, parents, and teachers of my school. I have a lot to learn, as I move to the front of the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment