Total Page Views

Monday, October 8, 2012


The Search for Balance


Finally, our school system has reached its first true break. It is such a relief to have some time to rest and refresh. I look back on my BLOGGING history from the past few months, and I am disappointed in myself because I have not kept up with my goal of writing an entry at least every other week. I have not done a good job of maintaining BALANCE. I recall in my last position as assistant principal at Mosley High School, the talented reading coach for our school gave me a gift. It was a beautiful canvas painting that said, "SEARCH FOR BALANCE."





So here I am on my Fall Break wondering...where has my balance gone? Why do I feel so wonky? One of my fundamental lifestyle beliefs is to always try to balance my life between what Covey calls the  four dimensions of life: Spiritual, Social/Emotional, Physical, and mental. 





Since shifting gears in my career and taking over the leadership of a school I have been neglecting two quadrants: Social and Physical and apparently my own personal mental dimension. All of my mental energies have been committed to the learning that is required by moving to a new campus, learning a new curriculum, and learning the nuances of a new faculty.  I am hoping that this break is going to provide me with the time and energy required to RESET. I need to add back into my routine the exercise and nutrition that keeps me healthy. I also need to return to my personal goals of excellence outside of work. I want to be an excellent wife, an excellent mother, and an excellent student of life and the pursuit of happiness.

So I close this BLOG with a beautiful fall day before me. I hope to exercise today and to call a friend and talk just for the sake of talking. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Balance is something I've been striving for this year, but with both kiddos away at college, it's difficult not to use their being away as an excuse to work more hours.

    I think that you are very much a perfectionist, and to achieve balance means that maybe some (or maybe not even one) area of your life isn't quite as "perfect" as you'd like. That would be the case for me.

    I think that allowing ourselves to close our office doors even when there are more items on our to-do lists is the key.

    We will NEVER finish everything. Ever.

    It's hard to accept but oh so true, eh?

    Hope your year is going well. I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Nathalie, you are right. Perfectionism leads to a lack of balance at times.

      I am thankful that you left another comment because I have never commented on a comment on my BLOG. LOL. Each step I take helps me grow a little more in this professional learning network.

      You are my role model for BLOGGING!

      I think of you often as well.

      Delete