Total Page Views

Thursday, January 3, 2013


I Digress:


It is at this time of year, the New Year, that many folks write their resolutions and their goals for the year. I have spent time thinking on those, and I have decided upon some worthy ambitions. But there are many, many thoughts that are with me as I turn the corner on a new year. I have tried to focus on the topic of education and my growth as a leader in my BLOG. However, I have noticed that in many educational BLOGS I subscribe to the person who writes the BLOG often has a belief or learns a lesson because of WHO they are. So, today,  I digress, and I share a personal moment in time that explains WHO I am and why I have the goals I do.

First I will share one of the events that has shaped me more than any other -- my mother died when she was 44. She was 5 months short of her 45th birthday. Well, this year I will arrive at my 44th birthday. Cancer took my mother's life, and at age 41 I spent 9 days in a hospital and missed 5 weeks of work because Cancer tried to befriend me. The number 44 and all that it stands for are terrifying to me. However, because I am a "half full" girl and have always been so, I only think sadly for a few minutes before I begin to clearly recall all that I have been blessed with in this life. I have an amazing family. My husband is my "rock", and my children are my delight. My father is my personal hero. I have been blessed with wise and true friends, and I continue to follow and learn from my mentors. My faith has wavered at points in my life, but it always returns to lift me and encourage me. 

So, you could say this is a special year for me. I want to live through this year and beyond! I want to really LIVE and appreciate this fabulous life we are given. I am reminded of variations of the same theme such as Tim McGraw's Live Like You Were Dying. And while it TRULY, REALLY, REALLY is a goal of mine to ride a mechanical bull, I am also reminded of the Latin phrase, Memento mori meaning "Remember your mortality." Popular belief says the phrase originated in ancient Rome:  As a Roman general was making his way through the streets during a victory parade, he had a man walk behind him to remind him that while today was a success, tomorrow he could lose or even die. The man is believed to have continually warned the general, "Memento mori."

I would like to remind everyone I know ... vita est brevis ... which means, Life is Short. This takes me back to the painful events of Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Connecticut, on December 14, 2012. The students and staff of that school were involved in learning. I was shocked, just as everyone I know was, that the children had their lives cut short. This tragedy is beyond words, and because of my own history, I want to live every day to its fullest. I am especially lucky to work with children. Their innocence and hunger for learning make each day a new day filled with joy. It is my goal to do the very best job that I can EACH AND EVERY DAY for my own family and for the students who are in my care. 

Right before our school got out for Christmas break, one of our first grade teachers, Dee Dee Prevost, held a Star-Gazing Event where 1st grade students came to the school at night, drank hot chocolate with marshmallows, and they used telescopes to look at the brilliance of our solar system. Students saw Jupiter and the star, Aldebaran, along with several constellations. These are the experiences that cause me to pause and to value every moment. My husband attended, and as we watched the excitement build in the students as they sprawled on blankets to look up and count stars, we grinned at each other. I am grateful for such moments, and I pray that each day I remember just how short my life is. I need to live it and love it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment