Total Page Views

Monday, October 7, 2013

#SAVMP Week 9 ~ No Need for a Nudge, I Am All In!


First of all, it has been an honor connecting with #SAVMP. I truly feel like I have a personal mentor even though this is really a collective group and not just me responding to all of the group's assignments. 

1. I have followed the lead of our Instructional Leader, George Couros, by responding to all of his BLOG prompts even though sometimes there is a lag time in my posts due to the overwhelming nature of being a new principal (Rookie Year 2).

2. I have learned from various posts whether it be the BLOG, the Twitter Feeds, Google Hangouts, or YouTube. I feel like one of the "cool kids", and it is awesome to learn from so many examples and thought provoking questions.

3. My faculty and students are benefiting from the learning that has been generated. For example, I have focused my Monday Memo (called the Cheetah Chat) on not only quotes but also topics from the various BLOGs and responses to those entries. 

I have also learned from my mentor, Paul McGuire. Paul is a mentor in Canada who runs a small school and has lots of cool technology he dabbles in and has inspired me. He has also provided me with some wise feedback as he has been at this a lot longer than I have.

1. I have set the personal goal of learning a video memorandum software to use with faculty such as Touchcast or other after watching him.

2. I have learned from his posts and from his various BLOGS and Twitter Feeds and his Daily E-Zine. 

I have learned from the process. This process has inspired me to increased my connectivity and to pursue further risk-taking behaviors to increase my capacity as an educational leader.

1. The BLOGGING assignments have provided a clarity of focus in my BLOG, and it has increased my awareness of how many people are actually influenced by such an instrument. Additionally, I have now committed myself to weekly entries, and I hope to carry on the HABIT once I am done with #SAVMP.

2. I have challenged other educational leaders in my arena to increase connectivity, and they have accepted the challenge. My local face-to-face mentor has recently adopted the Twitter habit, and others are coming online to establish their own PLN's.

3. I have increased my own presence on Twitter in both the area of LEARNING and in LEADING. Just this month, I have added two more tools to my technology toolbox. I have used Remind 101 to create a faculty account to send out reminder text messages and positive notes to the faculty. I have also created a Scoop It! account and have begun curating for the Connected Educator month's events.

#SAVMP has made a difference for me as a learner and a leader!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carol - I think this is all great. The learning that is going on is fantastic. I think you will love Touchcast, I am finding it very helpful - even to film student work to post to Youtube and our Facebook page.

    I have also been inspired by MathTV and the great work students are doing posting their own lessons for the world to see. We continue to experiment with teacher blogging through Edublog. This has been a really interesting experiment. We are also very slowly trying to get more Chromebooks - I would love to find a way to get lots of these machines into our school - still working on that!

    Thanks for this

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, I am learning just as much from you! I think we should find a way to start a real time twitter chat with all mentors and mentees soon - it would be great to converse live!

    ReplyDelete