Total Page Views

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Instructional Leadership -- Establishing Credibility #SAVMP



In my work as a leader, I am often sympathetic to how much responsibility our teachers are carrying. I try and always take things off their plates before adding another initiative or project if it is within my control. Many times, the new responsibilities we all take on are those required due to state or federal obligations. 

I also try and do my very best to learn everything I can about what I am asking our teachers and students to do. When possible I try to provide support or resources or training to assist in aiding smooth implementations.

One recent major implementation our full campus is undergoing is our Writing Action Plan. I happen to be a past district trainer for the Creating Writers (6 Traits) program for our district. I was able to be trained by Vicki Spandel and then was a co-trainer with a great teacher in our district, Beverly Dunaway. It is important for me to share this prior knowledge. To demonstrate Instructional Leadership, I want to not only show my knowledge and understanding of today’s classroom, but I also want to get deep into the work with my staff and students. To walk side-by-side with them as we all travel the long journey to increased writing achievement, I have set out creating writing mini-lessons for each month to match our school-wide Writing Trait of the Month.

I love sharing my enthusiasm for writing, and I also enjoy providing one more resource for our faculty to assist in our Writing Action Plan. The use of videos allows teachers to view the video on their own time and to "pause and play" as they like. They don't have to stay late for a meeting or attend a face-to-face training session. Video is so user-friendly. 

I have added these videos to my collection of videos on my YouTube Channel, and most recently, the teachers have joined in allowing me to film them and send out mini-lessons about many aspects of the school's teaching and learning goals

Here are two of the videos I have created thus far. They are so easy to make, and as a recent mentor of mine said, "If you help just one person.......you have been effective." 

I encourage others to not only engage in video mini-lessons but also in developing STREET CRED with your teachers and students by getting busy with the work of teaching and learning at every opportunity.









3 comments:

  1. You are amazing :) Thanks for sharing this! I wish more administrators would put themselves out there like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you read this. I am constantly inspired by my PLN and by your #SAVMP project. Did you notice I quoted you again? Lol. From Canada to Florida...we learn and lead. :0)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete