Total Page Views

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Work Hard! Play Hard!


I am going to deviate from my normal business minded posts tonight. Actually, my favorite Blog to read is AuburnChick. She always talks about the coolest personal things such as her Juicing or Vegan Recipes....her Harry Potter Ravelry knitting projects....her dogs....her children. I adore reading her posts because she is so REAL.

I long to post like she does, but I often find myself thinking, "Who cares what I have to say" or "What can I say that anyone hasn't already said?" I guess I have to remember the purpose of my Blogging adventure was to stretch my technology wings and do something that would be uncomfortable and cause me to grow....like many of the things that my faculty and staff are doing. We are all growing. So, I continue to BLOG. {BIG GRIN}.

Tonight I want to write about things that are important to me. :O)

Last Christmas, I worked during a lot of the break because I was a new Principal, and I was trying to get to know my school and the task at hand. Well, here I am a year later, and I promised myself that I would truly relax. AND I DID!

The motto driving this post is "Work hard! Play hard!" And tonight I want to write about the playing hard part. I relaxed and refreshed during this break. Here are a few of the things that occupied my time.



I got phase 3 of my ankle tattoo completed, and then I got another inspiration piece for my wrist.

Based on the verse, Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

I got the word, "Strength" on my wrist. I absolutely LOVE it!




I was able to finish a scrapbook I had been working on for my niece. This is my favorite page from the scrapbook. Yes, I know...tattoos and scrapbooks are quite the paradox. 


I sewed a new tree skirt for our Christmas Tree next year. I DESPISED the one we had under our tree this year.  


I started a new devotional. The new year is always a time for goal-setting and renewal for me. I spend a great deal of time selecting my devotional as it will set the theme for the year ahead. This past year, I finished The Uncommon Life by Tony Dungy. I selected it because I knew that my first year as a Principal would be a tough one, and Tony was a Super Bowl winning coach. What could be tougher than that?


I selected my new devotional called, God's Great Blessings Devotional by Patricia Raybon. I chose this one because I want to focus on gratitude for the upcoming year. I am truly blessed, and I need to constantly remember my blessed life.




I caught up on all my DVD SEASON purchases and finished at least three full seasons (CSI, DD, and Dexter) of the following:

      CSI Season 3, CSI Miami 4, Justified Season 4, NCIS Season 9, Duck Dynasty Season 1. AND... I finished the final season, Season 8, of one of my all-time favorite series, Dexter.




I cooked family meals and made Christmas cookies for friends and neighbors. 



I caught up with friends: Had coffee with Lisa, breakfast with Sandy, coffee with Angie, and dinner with the Wanamakers. 


I had several date nights with my adorable hubby who got me the best gift for our anniversary along with a dozen roses and some beautiful jewelry:




I upgraded to a Galaxy S4 that is the slickest of phones.



I exercised to my heart's content in my new Nike's. Yes, I have a fetish for Nike shoes. 


AND... there were many more wonderful, playful hours that filled my two weeks. I am grateful for my job which allows me chunks of time to reflect and renew. To carry me into the new year, I have also ordered two new books in my favorite genre, Science Fiction. Asimov and Heinlein.


For posterity, and for my dear children, this post is proof that I play just as hard as a I work! Work hard, play hard!
     

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I am humbled by your enthusiastic shout-out! You have been such a blessing to me over the years. You encouraged me when I was looking for a job, lifted me up when I faced disappointments, and cheered me on when I finally got my own classroom. You've always believed in me...always saw the potential that others didn't see. For that, I thank you.

    I am so glad you took time for yourself during the holidays. You're going to have the energy you need to lead your fortunate staff through a fantastic and strong second semester!

    Love in Christ,

    Nathalie (AuburnChick)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Carol - working on getting caught up. I really like the way you really were intentional about the time you had off. Been trying to do the same thing - today is all about writing! have been working on some of the same things - back working on my Spanish and really working on my swimming. Would be skiing too, but we are in the middle of an incredible cold snap here!

    ReplyDelete